Padmashri Bhagavatula Dattaguru
Dept. of Aerospace Engineering,
Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore
Ph.D.(Engg), Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India
M.E(Aero), Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India
B.E. (Electrical), Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India
- Chairman (1999-2003), Department of Aerospace Engineering, IISc
- Chairman (1996-2000), Council for Scientific & Industrial Consultancy, IISc
- Coordinator (1987-91), Joint Advanced Technology program, IISc
- Coordinator (1993-2000) and Member of ARDB Structures Panel
- President (2001-2003) Institute of Smart Materials, Structures and Systems
- President (2003-04), Advanced Computing and Communications Society
- Member of the Governing Board, RV-TIFAC Composite Design Center
- Vice President, Institute of Smart materials, Structures and Systems (ISSS).
- Member(1985-93), Co-ordinator (1993-2000) , Aeronautics R&D Board, Structures Panel.
- Indian Representative, Executive Council of International Congress of Fracture (ICF) (1984-89).
- Associate Editor, Journal of the Aeronautical Society of India, 1988
- Guest Editor for three Special Issues of the Journal on Fracture Mechanics, published in honour of Prof. G.R. Irwin.
- Member, Working Group for Development of Fracture Control Plan on PSLV Programs, VSSC, Trivandrum.
- Member, Task team for Fracture Criterion in Design of Pressure Vessels/Rocket Motor Casings formed between VSSC, Trivandrum; NAL, Bangalore; and IISc, Bangalore.
- Member, Mission Advisory Committee, Advanced composites Mission, DST, New Delhi.
- Senior Associate, National Institute for Advanced Studies (NIAS), Bangalore.
Fields of Interest:
Theory of Elasticity, Aircraft Structures, Aging structures, Life extension methods, Fracture Mechanics, Finite Element Methods (linear and non-linear), Composites, Smart structures, Aircraft and Missile Design, Experimental Stress Analysis and Non-destructive Testing.
Honours and Awards:
- Sri Tamma Sambayya medal – Andhra University, Waltair, 1959
- Senior Resident Research Associateship of National Research Council (USA)
- Aerospace Gold Medal for best paper – Institution of Engineers, 1988
- Biren Roy Trust Award of the Aeronautical Society of India, 1993
- ARDB Silver Jubilee award for best sponsored research project, 1996.
- IISc Alumni Award: Prof. Rustom Choksi award for Excellence in Engineering Research
- DRDO Academic Excellence Award 2002
- Padma Shri Award for Science & Engineering for the year, Government of India, 2005
- Aero Society Awards: Excellence in Aerospace Education Biren Roy Trust Award
- Institution of Engineers: Gold Medal for best paper
- Distinguished Engineer, Recognised on 37th Engineers Day by the Institution of Engineers, 2004
Fellow, Indian National Academy of Engineering (INAE)
Fellow, The Aeronautical Society of India (ASI)
Fellow, Institution of Engineers (India)
Supervised 23 Ph.D., 3 M.Sc. and 49 M.E. Thesis
Published over 162 papers in Journals and Conference Proceedings.
- Visiting Professor, Penn State University, PA, USA (May 2000 – July 2000)
- Visiting Professor, Penn State University, PA, USA (May 1996 -Nov 1996)
- Visiting Professor, Penn State University, PA, USA (1995)
- Visiting Professor, University of Hongkong (1995)
- Visiting Professor, Geelong, Australia (1993)
- Visiting Scientist, Analytical Services Materials Inc., Hampton, Virginia, USA (1987)
- Senior Resident Research Associate of National Research Council, (USA) at Fatigue and Fracture Branch of NASA Langley Research Center, Hampton, Virginia, USA (1980-1982)